Designing Solutions Activity #1: Rope Tube
General Objective: To provide an opportunity for students to design solutions in science based on observing a phenomenon and asking questions.
The facilitator does the following:
- Once students have seen the Rope Tube phenomenon (Rope Tube Podcast, requires Adobe Flash) and asked questions, have them design a solution to the phenomenon based on the created model. Students should be able to design a solution that replicates the observed phenomenon of the Rope Tube.
- Have students generate a list of needed materials and either provide the materials or have students gather the materials.
- Provide time for students to design solutions using the Engineering Design Process sheet (PDF format).
Related Crosscutting Concepts:
Related Disciplinary Core Ideas:
- Core Idea PS1: Matter and Its Interactions
- Core Idea PS2: Motion and Stability: Forces and Interactions
- Core Idea ETS1: Engineering Design