Designing Solutions Activity #2: Pringles Potato Chip Mailing Challenge
General Objective: To provide an opportunity for students to design solutions in engineering based on observing a phenomenon and asking questions.
The facilitator does the following:
- After students have DEFINED the Pringles Chip Challenge, have them design a solution by first drawing sketches/diagrams of possible mailing devices.
- Have students generate a list of needed materials, and either provide the materials or have students gather the materials.
- Provide time for students to design solutions using the Engineering Design Process sheet (PDF format).
- Provide time for testing and redesign.
- Use the Pringles Potato Chip Mailing Challenge document (from Google Docs) as a facilitator guide.
Related Crosscutting Concepts:
- Cause & Effect
- Scale, Proportion & Quantity
- Systems & System Models
- Structure & Function
- Stability & Change
Related Disciplinary Core Ideas:
- Core Idea PS1: Matter and Its Interactions
- Core Idea PS2: Motion and Stability: Forces and Interactions
- Core Idea ETS1: Engineering Design
- Core Idea ETS2: Links Among Engineering, Technology, Science, and Society