Developing & Using Models Activity #5: Measuring Albedo and Climate Modeling
Grades Targeted: High School
General Objective: Students manipulate clouds, albedo and carbon dioxide within a computerized atmospheric model.
Students investigate and analyze each variable’s impact on global climate temperature.
Brief Details: Lessons leading up to this modeling activity: Students complete the “Radiant Energy Lab” and “Reflection and Absorption Lab” as needed to build background knowledge regarding energy conversion prior to this activity (lessons included in the resources linked below).
- Measuring Albedo and Climate Modeling Lesson Resources (via Google Drive)
Before launching the “Measuring Albedo Simulation” I also play a short NASA video regarding Polar Ice Modeling:
Related Crosscutting Concepts:
Related Disciplinary Core Ideas:
- Core Idea PS1: Matter and Its Interactions
- Core Idea PS2: Motion and Stability: Forces and Interactions
- Core Idea PS3: Energy
- Core Idea LS2: Ecosystems: Interactions, Energy, and Dynamics
- Core Idea ESS1: Earth’s Place in the Universe
- Core Idea ESS2: Earth’s Systems
- Core Idea ESS3: Earth and Human Activity